IonGen System - Blanket Weed Control
IonGen System - Blanket Weed Control
Introducing the Aquascape IonGen™ System, an innovative electronic algae controller designed for various water features, including Ponds and Pondless® Waterfalls. This system effectively combats string algae and reduces maintenance, offering a chemical-free solution to algae control.
IonGen™ Key Features:
- Electronic Algae Control: Utilizes a microprocessor in the IonGen™ System's Control Panel to create positive ions that reduce algae.
- IonGen™ Probe: Features reverse polarity to minimize scale and debris buildup, with tested metal alloys for optimal results.
- Replacement Probes Available: Ensure continuous functionality with replacement IonGen Probes, specifically designed for the IonGen™ System.
- Versatile Use: Effective in Ponds, Pondless® Waterfalls, and other decorative water features.
- Fish and Plant Safe: Suitable for use in ecosystems containing fish and plants when following manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Easy Installation: Includes a 5' quick-connect cable for simple setup. Place the probe in moving water for efficient operation.
- 12v Transformer Required: Sold separately, specifically tailored for the UK market.
- Boxed Kit Option: Available as a complete kit, including the Control Panel, Probe, and Transformer.
This complete IonGen™ System is an electronic algae controller for Ponds, Pondless® Waterfalls, and other decorative water features (*please note potential problems below)
IonGen™ Complete Kit – Boxed (Full Kit)
- Comprehensive algae control system, perfect for ponds and waterfalls.
- Includes Control Panel, Probe, Transformer, and Flow Chamber.
- User-friendly with easy installation.
- Ideal for those setting up a new system or looking for a complete upgrade.
IonGen™ Flow Chamber Kit – Part
- Replacement Flow Chamber for IonGen systems.
- Ensures optimal water flow and ion distribution.
- Ideal for the maintenance or repair of your existing IonGen system.
- Enhances the effectiveness and longevity of the IonGen system.
IonGen™ Replacement Probe – Part
- High-quality replacement Probe for the IonGen system.
- Essential for maintaining effective algae control.
- Recommended replacement for worn or depleted probes.
- Ensures continued efficiency and effectiveness of your system.
IonGen™ Replacement Probe Holder – Part
- Specifically designed for Aquascape's IonGen™ System, a perfect match.
- Compatible with pipes and check valves from 1” to 4” in diameter
- Ideal for inside skimmers and Pondless® Waterfall Vaults.
- Holds the Probe in the proper position for efficiency and effectiveness.
IonGen™ Control Panel – Part
- Central unit for managing the IonGen system.
- Easy-to-use interface for controlling system settings.
- Replacement part for damaged or malfunctioning control panels.
- Ensures precise operation and effectiveness of the algae control system.
- Wildlife Caution: More suitable for features without fish or aquatic wildlife.
- Usage Advisory: Recommended to use only during blanket weed growth and not to leave the unit switched on continuously in closed systems.
- Copper and kH Testing: Test kits for Copper and kH are sold separately to monitor water conditions.
What is the best treatment for blanket weed?
The best treatment for blanket weed in your pond or water feature depends on various factors, including the size of the pond, the presence of fish and plants, and the severity of the algae problem. Here are several effective approaches:
Mechanical Removal: Physically removing blanket weed by hand or with a rake can be effective, especially for smaller ponds. Regular removal prevents the algae from taking over the pond.
UV Clarifiers: These devices use ultraviolet light to kill algae cells, including those in blanket weeds. The dead algae clump together, making them easier to filter out.
Biological Solutions - Beneficial Bacteria: Products like Aquascape's Beneficial Bacteria for Ponds can help maintain a balanced ecosystem in the pond. These bacteria break down organic matter, reducing the nutrients available for algae growth.
Barley Straw Products: Barley straw, when decomposing, releases compounds that inhibit algae growth. However, note that barley straw and its extracts are banned for algae control in the UK.
Algaecides: Chemical treatments specifically designed to control algae can be effective. Choose products that are safe for fish and plants, and follow the instructions carefully.
Pond Aeration: Increasing oxygen levels in the pond can help beneficial bacteria thrive, which in turn can help control algae.
Reducing Nutrients: Overfeeding fish and excessive fertilizer runoff into the pond can increase nutrients, promoting algae growth. Reducing these inputs can help control blanket weed.
IonGen™ System: While effective in controlling algae, it’s crucial to use the IonGen™ System correctly, especially in ponds with fish and wildlife. As you mentioned, it's not recommended to leave the unit switched on continuously in such ponds. Only use it as needed, and closely monitor copper levels to ensure they stay within safe limits.
Testing Water Quality: Regularly testing the water for pH, KH (carbonate hardness), and copper levels is important, especially if using treatments like the IonGen™ System. Test kits are sold separately and should be used to maintain safe water conditions.
Read and Follow Instructions: Whichever treatment you choose, it's crucial to follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe and effective use.
In summary, there's no one-size-fits-all solution for blanket weed. Often, a combination of methods works best. Consider the specific needs and conditions of your pond when choosing a treatment.
Can the System be used in Cold Water or the winter if Blanket weed is growing?
The IonGen Kit can technically be used in winter or cold water conditions, but there are several important considerations to keep in mind:
Reduced Algae Growth in Cold Water: Algae growth significantly slows down or even stops in cold water, as it typically thrives in warmer temperatures. Therefore, the necessity of using the IonGen system during winter might be much less compared to the warmer months.
System Efficiency: The effectiveness of the IonGen system in cold water might differ from its performance in warmer water. The chemical and biological processes involved in algae control can be less active in lower temperatures.
Fish and Plant Dormancy: In colder temperatures, pond fish and plants often go into a dormant state. The use of any algae control system, including the IonGen, should be carefully managed to ensure it does not adversely affect the health of dormant fish and plants.
Risk of Ice: If your pond or water feature is prone to freezing, this can pose a risk to the IonGen equipment. The system and its components should not be allowed to freeze as this could cause damage.
Energy and Cost Efficiency: Consider the energy and cost efficiency of running the system in winter when algae control might not be necessary.
Monitoring and Maintenance: Regular monitoring and maintenance of the system are crucial, especially in the winter months, to ensure it operates effectively and safely.
Consult Manufacturer’s Guidelines: It’s important to consult the manufacturer’s guidelines or contact Aquascape directly for specific recommendations regarding the use of the IonGen system in winter conditions.
In summary, while the IonGen system can be used in cold water, its necessity and efficiency might be reduced during the winter months. Careful consideration and adherence to the manufacturer’s guidelines are advised for using the system in colder conditions.
IonGen™ G2 Probe Holder - Product Description
Introducing the Aquascape IonGen™ G2 Probe Holder, a tailored accessory designed to optimize the positioning of your Aquascape IonGen™ Probe in your water feature. This innovative holder is perfect for those who prefer not to use the included flow chamber, offering a flexible and efficient alternative.
Key Features and Benefits:
Versatile Positioning: Specially crafted for use in skimmer filters and Pondless® Waterfall Vaults. Its adaptable design makes it a fit for a variety of water feature setups.
Adjustable Fit: The IonGen™ G2 Probe Holder is designed to strap securely onto any pipe or check valve with diameters ranging from 1” to 4”. This flexibility ensures a snug and secure fit in diverse installation scenarios.
Optimal Probe Placement: Engineered to hold the IonGen™ Probe in the correct position, enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of your IonGen™ system.
Durable Construction: Built to last, the Probe Holder is made from high-quality materials that ensure trouble-free and long-lasting use.
Easy Installation: User-friendly installation process that doesn't require complex tools or extensive modifications to your existing water feature setup.
Ideal for Aquascape IonGen™ System users seeking a simple yet effective solution for probe placement, the IonGen™ G2 Probe Holder streamlines the integration of the IonGen™ system into your pond or waterfall, maintaining the aesthetic appeal while ensuring optimal functionality.
Other Parts you might need
IonGen Test Kits – Copper and kH
- Includes tests for Copper and kH levels in pond water.
- Essential for monitoring water quality and system effectiveness.
- Helps maintain a safe and healthy environment for aquatic life.
- Recommended for regular use alongside the IonGen system.
- Dedicated Transformer for the IonGen system.
- Ensures reliable and consistent power supply.
- Replacement part for damaged or malfunctioning transformers.
- A key component for the system’s performance and durability.
All you technically need is the
Control Panel, Probe & Transformer
- Essential components for effective algae management.
- Contains the Control Panel, Probe, and Transformer.
- Suitable for replacing major components of your existing IonGen system.
- Streamlined option for experienced users.
Have any of these questions?
How to use
How to use
Our shipping fees apply to UK residents. If you're further afield then reach out to us with your order, then dispatch cant calculate the shipping fees
Hand Feed Your Pond Fish
Watch this video to learn how.